Re: color breeding (was: Re viejita)

I also want to agree with Bob about deformities showing up mostly for
reasons that we as aquarists can control.   Water Quality being the
biggest factor along with good diets.   I try to keep at least 2 pairs
of breeders of any apisto that I'm working with.   My thinking here is
to line breed the fish so that I can cross every other generation to
fish from the other line to keep weaknesses from hopefully showing up.
Eventually I have to cross in outside stock to maintain healthy fish.

As to making money, it really is alot harder to do then most people
think.   I keep and breed apistos for 2 reasons reasons.   First, I
really love the little guys.   I like the nature of the fish, the way it
acts and looks.   Secondly and a poor reason but half way decent one.  I
have perfect water for raising apistos.   Living in the Adirondack
mountains, I have naturally soft slightly acidic water right out of the
tap.  All I need to do is add a little dechlor and add fish.
This is also one of the reasons I keep alot of west african cichlids and
killies.   Getting back to the money part here.   Yes I do make some, I
will never get back more then what I put into this hobby, that isn't my
goal.  My goal is the fish, but if I can be successful with  some of
these guys and sell or trade some, I'm thankful
I do my best to insure the largest number of fry survival so that I can
help myself with my hobby.   If this means selling a few pairs here and
there to help me pay for new species,  where ever I can get them, then
God bless.
Sorry for rambling there.   I just really love my apistos.   I get
excited everytime a pair spawns and everytime I get some new fish.
John Wubbolt