Substrate/chemistry issues

After searching long and hard for some kind of black, or even dark brown
sand, I settled for some epoxy-coated black lizard sand.  It looks nice, but
it is obviously not natural.  So I tried finding Tex-Blast from a
sandblasting supplier.  No one knew what it was, and silica-based media are
out of vogue because of health risks, but one place offered to provide me
with silicon carbide.  The lady said it is black, but had no idea as to
whether it was chemically inert in water.  My intitial suspicions about it is
that it is some kind of salt and, provided it is relatively insoluble, should
work fine.  Any knowledgeable folks out there.

My second thoght is that recreational gold "prospectors" separate the gold
from a substance called "black sand".  Seeing as gold is generally veined in
quartz, it seems that this black sand is likely to be volcanic, and should
also be inert.  Some of these guys bring it home by the bucketful and
separate the gold on a "riffle tube", or even better, they use an acid to
dissolve the gold, and then reclaim the gold from the slurry.  If I can find
someone to provide me with their black sand when they are done, is it likely
to be free of metallic contaminates?

Bob Dixon