Re: Sexing cacatoos

In a message dated 5/23/99 3:27:45 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
BigJohnW@webtv.net writes:

<snip>>  When I
>  originally asked what the difference was, I was told that females have
>  as much color in the dorsal, anal and caudal fins as some basic red
>  Cacatuoides.

I was given to understand that double-red males don't have the red in the
anal fin.  That's the problem with these color-forms- no one is really
defining the differences.  Discus are even worse.

>  My triple red females have color in all the fins.   Not
>  as much as the males do but color, my double red females don't have this
>  color and I can sex them at 1/2 inch by the black coloring in the pelvic
>  fins.   My female triple reds have the same black fins as my double reds
>  do just more color in the other fins.

Thanks, John.  This is helpful.  Perhaps my line of triple-reds had lost some
color somewhere and I am just getting it back.  I plan to use the more
colorful females for the next generation.

Bob