Re: Mike Jacob's Unknown Apistos

Mike has some very nice pictures on his web page. I, too, would like to know how
he has set up his lighting, etc. Anyway, here are ID's for some of his fish:

page 1: Is it the same photo used for  the male A. panduro? One looks like a blow
up of the smaller (fish) photo.
Your A. panduro female is still listed as A. pandurini (picky, picky!)

Your A. agassizii "Tefe" is not the aggie from the Rio Tefé, but a closely
related species called A. sp. Tefé II - and from what I can see it doesn't look
like a cross with A. sp. Tefé I either!

page 2:  Is the first unknown fish (swimming over white silica sand) the same as
the ones below it? It's too washed out to tell what it is

The other fish are a macmasteri-group species. If I could get a good look at the
ventral patch that runs from the chin to the anus on the female I would be more
positive on my ID. Anyway, to me it looks like A. sp. Schwarzkehl (Black-chin)
-  the same fish that Linke & Staeck call A. viejita Color Form III. Koslowski
believes that A. sp. Schwarzkehl is not A. viejita, but a closely related
species, and that A. sp. Rotflecken (Red-spotted) (= L&S A. viejita CF II) is the
same species as Schwarzkehl, just more colorful. A. sp. Rotflecken is collected
from pools while A. sp. Schwarzkehl is found in small streams.

Your mystery fish that came in with them appears to be a male A. sp. Blutkehl
(Cutthroat). The white silica sand has it badly faded.

You have some very nice fish there, Mike.

Mike Wise