More parasite questions; Mysterious borellii deaths

"Phil Eaton" wrote: <<< more parasite questions..
 I do believe I mean nematodes...
I did save the info that you are referring to, but I have noticed in some
cases, the tablets are crushed, mixed with tank water, and poured into the
tank.  In other cases, the pasty mixture is mixed with food with the
likelyhood that the fish will ingest the medicine.
Which might be the best way to administer the dosage?>>>>>

In general, I prefer extended baths (i.e., dissolve the tablet in a jar,
and pour everything in the water), because they allow a more precise
control of the dose given.  Often good results are reported both ways.

Dan Gottsegen wrote: <<<<Mysterious borellii deaths
(..) I had added a
female A.borellii  two months ago. She remained listless for a week and
then died. Assuming that she succumbed to internal parasites, I waited
awhile to be sure the male was not affected, and then added another
female that I had obtained from another very reliable source one month
ago. She did better. Not very active, tended to hide in the plants near
the surface, eating sparingly. Last week, since I was away, I left the
care to another, who fed the fish every third day or so with blood
worms. The day after I returned (five days ago) the female died. Then
yesterday the male died. No previous signs of illness. Male was eating
voraciously even the night before he died.>>>>>>>

It can be due to anything, but I think gill flukes or skin
ciliates/dinoflagellates
(Ich, velvet) are on top of the suspect list. In small fishes like Apistos
it is
hard to detect things like abnormal gill movement, minor skin changes, etc.
You can see some suggested treatment schemes at:
http://world.std.com/~enjolras/symtreat.htm

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.