Re: cacatuoides Females

>I think I will also steal the next batch of fry one of my Agassizzi females
>keeps munching. Some females are great with their fry, but this particular
>fish, seems to enjoy munching her babies when they go freeswimming.
>Seems the herd get's smaller and smaller day by day, untill there
>are none left. She is the only inhabitant in the tank, so she is
definately,
>munching them. Next spawn this lady fishy produces, are going to disappear,
>the minute they hatch, right into a baby box.

>Vicky the apisto addict

I had a similar situation with a pair of  Angels and just as I was about to
take their eggs a more experienced friend suggested that I was loosing fry
to starvation and not parental snacking.  He suggested that I remove the fry
to a smaller tank were they could be more easily feed.
I had them in a 29G tank and it would take about 7 to 10 days to go through
the 200 to 300 fry.  I saw the parents take the fry into their mouths but
always do deposit them somewhere else, so I was reluctant to believe they
were eating them.  When the fry are moved to a 5.5G they can very easily be
feed and the loss rate is very low.
I'm not saying that your female isn't munching her fry, just that lack of
frequent feeding and water quality can take a heavy toll on fry from some
fish.  I have only managed to keep about 5 fry going in my 29G with the
parents.
Don't know if this is of any use to you or not, just a thought.

Bill Hickman
Mascoutah, IL.