Re: Cacatuoides Fry Mortality

On Tue, 25 May 1999 21:55:22 -0700, Dan Gottsegen wrote:
The reason that I moved the fry was because the male was guarding and
rearing the fry.  He would not any other fish near.  Not even the mother.
He was driving the other fish and me crazy.
Fry at a very young age should have as much of their birth water as
possible.  So while siphoning them out, I filled the 2.5 with the water from
the original tank.  I did not want to take a chance on the new water
parameters.  In this 2.5 gal I use a Hydro 1 sponge filter.  A good source
for micro-cooties.  Of course I had to cut the bubble tube down to about an
inch and a quarter.  I also have a compact 25 watt heater in the tank.  Java
Fern and Moss are used for cover and also a source for micro-cooties as a
supplement to micro worms and frozen BBS.
With four 2.5 gal lined up end to end, I use a plexi cover and a 36" light
with one low wattage bulb.  If they are side to side, I use a 24" light.
All the tanks have Hydro 1 sponge filters an are run from a gang valve from
one SecondNature Challenger I pump.  It is extremely quiet.  All the noise
is from the bubbles.
I use pure steamed distilled water for partial water changes once a week.
The hard part is not siphoning the fry.  So I use a 2.5 gallon bucket.
Before tossing the water, I wait about 20 minutes to see if any fry are
swimming around in the bucket.
I just recatch them and toss them back into their tank.
After a couple of months, I use their water from the 2.5 into a 10 g and
fill the rest with pure steamed distilled water.  This gives me the creeps
because I worry about losing them.  So I put them all in a catching
container and acclimate them too the water for an hour.  Then toss them in.
I have not lost any fry at all using this method.
thanks for this tip. I have a pair of P. taeniatus that I believe
> may have just spawned. The female has been hanging out in her cave and
> actually quite brutally chasing the male away the last couple of days,
> though the male was calmly in the center of the tank tonight and she was
> off to the side (hope this isn't a bad sign). She "thinned out" a couple
> of days ago too. I have been cycling a 2.5 gallon tank to use as a
> quarantine tank for some time. If it is done cycling when the fry are
> free swimming (this would be the time to do the switch I assume) I will
> siphon them in with water from their tank. The 2.5 gallon has a power
> filter on it, but I assume I could fit the intake with a sponge cover,
> yes?
>
> -Dan

Archives"!

Francine in MD