re:air pumps

I spent a large chunk of cash on a couple of rena air pumps (I think a 100
and a 400).  I have found them to be much quieter than any of my other pumps
and I own a tetratec deep ( I have been told that these seem not to be
consistent when it comes to noise levels ), a whisper, a tetra luft, a dozen
haggen pumps.  The Rena's are louder than my 'silent one' water pump but
quieter than the sound of the bubbles from an airstone bursting on the
surface.  In my bedroom I have it mounted on a large piece of sponge.  The
Rena pumps are definitely well into the realm of expensive though.  I have
not yet replaced diaphragms so I cannot yet comment on the durability or
ease of replacement. The smaller pump is about a year old.
I have occasionally resorted to the isolation method of making pumps
quieter.  Suspend the pump by a rubber band from the power cord, the rubber
band needs to be replaced about twice per year.  This will make even the
loud brands perform quietly.  Also, using some silicone and large diameter
tubing, you can make an air reservoir to 'smooth' the air flow.  I would try
these methods first before spending a lot of cash.
Hope this helps,
Doug