Re: I stand corrected

Bob Dixon wrote:
>Last night as I was on my way to bed, I spotted a female A. cacatuoides
>guarding a clutch of about 60 eggs- on TOP of the suction cup of a
>submersible heater.  There were no cave structures, as this is a grow-out
>tank.  She was only 5 months old.  Dave Sanchez stated a few months ago
that
>his Apistos reached sexual maturity in 4 months, and I said 7 was more like
>it.

Absolutely.  Your further descriptions of how you managed this brood were
the essential ingredients in raising these fish.

Months ago I wrote that the borelliis in my 120 gallon tank could be sexed
at 4 months.  They grew up to be absolutely stunning specimens.  Once they
started to fight over territory (I posted a letter about the males locking
jaws), I had no choice but to sell some of my fish.  And I'm not
kidding ---the store sold them for $40.00 per pair!!!!!  And they were gone
in three days!!!

The irony of the situation is that when I was 'babying' broods in my 30
gallon tank, even with water changes and good food they did not grow
quickly.  I sold them for next to nothing.  Then, here I've got fish that
grew up on whatever goodies they found in the substrate etc. and I'm getting
more for them with absolutely no special effort.

I've decided, as a result of this, that I am going for quality not quantity.
There is far too much fussing involved in  raising large numbers of Apistos.
(At least for me.)  My fish are always in demand and the manager at the lfs
just loves them.  He's kept a pair that spawned for him after only a few
days.  (The pairs were not brother/sister - maybe cousins once removed).

I'm not that interested in their trade-in value either.  I've been known to
give them away to people who I knew would appreciate them as much as I do.
Like in an article in the Cichlid News (April?)  I "have to love", not "love
to have".

G. Kadar