Re: Spawning P. pulcher

R3K1@aol.com wrote:

> Hello fellow dwarf cichlid enthusiasts!
>
> This is my first entry on the Apisto List, so please bear with me.
>
> I recently purchased a pair of "Kribs" and situated them in their own
> 20-gallon long tank with four Silver Tip tetras as dithers.  The tank has
> numerous cave formations, rocks, wood, a pea gravel substrate; and is planted
> with Java Fern, Java Moss, Bolbitis heudelotii and various Anubias species.
> The water is soft and acidic: Ph 6.2ish, Total hardness 50ish ppm, temp. 77
> far.
>
> Since the day they arrived, they've remained in a cave almost completely
> concealed from view.  It's been three or four days now, and they refuse to
> show themselves.  From what I can see of the female, her belly is purple and
> plump, but she was that way when I purchased her.  For feeding, I've been
> squirting live black worms into their cave, and they do appear to be eating
> them.  Can anyone offer me some advise on how to best proceed with these
> little fish?  I was looking forward to fry not to being a Peeping Tom.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Randall Kohn

I'd suggest patience and peeping. It isn't impossible the fish are ill -
pet shops have a way of doing that. It's also possible they're simply
shy. Watch them closely, and see if they come out soon. It would seem to
me the set-up is right, although I'd have a bigger school of tetras.
I'd drop the food in sight of the cave, but not squirt it in. You want
to draw them out.
-Gary