Re: Ble Cheeks

Bob,

The Blue-cheek Apisto is most likely a color form of A. sp. Rotpunkt/Schwarzsaum.
It looks very much like a blue/yellowish bodied Schwarzsaum with almost entirely
metallic blue gill covers. This is an old timer in the hobby. No one knows where
it comes from, probably the headwaters of the Amazon or Orinoco rivers in
southeastern Colombia. Mark McMaster discussed it in the June 1977 issue of the
ACA's Buntbarsche Bulletin (#60) as follows:

ASG - 20. The Bluecheek Apisto was originally imported from Germany a few years
ago and was widely circulated under the incorrect designation Ap. weisei, which
again is a quite different fish. The usage of this name has diminished as fewer
people now keep the species. A sketch and discussion of this fish appear in BB 43
in an article by Sven Kullander. Males are greenish blue in the upper body,
whitish ventrally. The fins are yellow, edged in black, excepting the anal which
is very blue. Opercula are blue, and the lips are dark blue to black. No
published color photos exist, and no locale is known.

This is a pretty, but not flashy, fish in its own right that will probably breed
in your toilet (if you don't flush)! It is an excellent beginners apisto.

Mike Wise