Re: Apistogramma steindachneri experiences

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Derek Wingert wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>     Recently I acquired a fish as "Apistogramma ortmanni." Well, after
> asking about the ID of the fish, I found two distinct alternate ID
> possibilities... A. sp. Rotpunkt / Puerto Narino or A. steindachneri. Well,
> after going through my Linke and Staeck book, I came to the conclusion that
> it was *definitely* not Rotpunkt, and it sure didn't look like steindachneri
> because my fish's fins were not lyrate, and all of my fish possessed a
> distinct lateral bar with a spot (this was not present on the example in my
> book). However, my fish seem to have spawned, and the presumed female
> (turned yellow and is guarding a cave, not letting the "male" come near) and
> the male turned slightly mother-of-pearlish and lost the entire lateral bar
> (but not the spot).         After going again to "TheKrib," I noticed that
> one particular photo of a "female" absolutely, totally looked like mine. The
> link is below.
> http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/A-steindachneri-fem.jpg

Derek,

I'm pretty much an imbecile when it comes to ID'ing apistos (which is why
I never go anywhere without my walking Aqualog wife), but the one thing I
remember about the steindachneri group (also including hippolytae --
featured currently on mystery.thekrib.com, and rupununi) is they all
distinctly have that flank patch above the lateral line (rather than a
spot directly on the line). I'd think you could use this clue to determine
if you have steindachneri or not.

   - Erik
   (anxiously awaiting positive ID so I know which fish to file your
article under. :)

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com