Re: Apistogramma steindachneri experiences

Derek,
In my exprerince with A.steindachneri they are a very tolerant species as
far as water parameters are concerned.  A big plus is they are excellent
parents capable of raising several broods in the same tank at the same time,
this of course depends on the size of the breeding tank.  The fry are one of
the fastest growing that I have had experience with.  You mention Rotpunkt
and Puerto Narino, I also have both species at the present time and I would
rate sp.Rotpunkt in the same category as Steindachneri as far as water
tollerance and the care of fry.  I have three spawnings of Rotpunkt being
raised by both parents in the same tank at the moment.

My advice to you is remove the outcast male now before the female emerges
with her fry.  Things certainly won't improve for the excess male in fact it
will get worse and now is the easiest time to remove him from the tank.
Good luck.
Helen