Re: Breeding Apistogrammas?

-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Burns <helen.burns@bigwig.net>
To: apisto@admin.listbox.com <apisto@admin.listbox.com>
Date: Saturday, June 26, 1999 2:21 AM
Subject: Re: Breeding Apistogrammas?

:S. Bunch,
:
:>>Just one question for you. It doesn't sound as though the Apistos are all
:>that hard to get to breed, and not too bad on raising the fry. Is this
:true?<<
:
:If you have a pair of mature cichlids they will at some point do the
:business but the trick is having a successful spawning and this comes down
:to water maintenance and a good varied diet.  As to raising their fry I
:would rate them very highly  as being excellent parents.

Actually they sound like better parents than my mouth-brooding cichlids.
With them, the mother protects them for about a week after they are
free-swimming and then they're on there own.

:
:>asked my LFS about breeding the Rams, and he told me that they were _very_
:>difficult. Is this true? I realize you have to have the right water
:>parameters, but as I just purchased a RO unit a few months ago for a
:>saltwater reef tank, I feel that I could do that part of it.<<
:
:This depends on your breeding stock, if you are referring to Ramirezi.
:Altispinosa will breed successfully anywhere, community or species tank.

Yeah, I thought that I'd heard the rams weren't extremely difficult from
other sources.  The guy I talked to at the LFS seems to be pretty
knowledgable on the African Cichlids, and fair on salt-water, but I think he
was bluffing on this from lack of knowledge.
:
:>>Enough different to make them a challenge without devoting my entire life
:to them.<<
:
:
:I've heard that before, once you experience an Apistogramma species caring
:for their fry you will be hooked for life.  Give them a try, you won't
:regret it I promise you.
:Helen
:
Believe me, I know what getting hooked on fish is like. As I've said, I have
an African Cichlid tank w/ five grow out tanks, a saltwater reef tank, and
Koi outside in my pond. :)

I also have a spare 29gal tank out in the garage. Now, where can I put a new
tank setup for Apistos? ;)

Thanks,
Sherry
:
:
:
:
:For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
:email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Archives"!
: