Re: Rams spawning

Bill,

>I won't be here to monitor their progress or care for the fry!  As I recall
(this is my first time with Rams), the eggs should hatch ina few days and
the wrigglers become free swiming a few days after that, which means I'll
have to instruct one of my peers on how to help care for the fry.

>1. I'm assuming the first step is to remove the pleco, correct?  Being that
this tank is in the office, I don't have any bags handy.  So should I leave
the light on tonight to allow the parents an opportunity to protect their
spawn?

If you have a tupperware food box or similar container or even a clean
office bucket I would remove the plec today.  Even leaving the lights on the
rams will be unable to stop a plec.

>2. I won't have nor could I hatch BBS at the office.  So is finely ground
flake food a decent alternative (Now I wish I had bought a can of that
Cyclops-Ease!)?  Or what else could aI try?

I assume this is a well established tank.  The fry will possibly be free
swimming only for 2-3 days by the time you return and they will have lots of
nasties to eat in the tank till you can provide bs.  I wouldn't ask the
staff to feed crushed flake the fry are very small at first.

>3. How soon before I can transport them home into a grow out tank?

4-6 weeks.
Good luck,
Helen