Re: Mystery Apisto Site (ID IT!)

Derek,

You and Gareth both appear to have A. steindachneri. A. steindachneri is
characterized by its moderately sized quasi trapezoid flank patch resting on the
lateral band. The flank patch doesn't quite reach the dorsal fin. The narrow
lateral band ends in front of a small irregularly shaped caudal spot. Males
develop a slightly serrated dorsal fin and a double tipped gyrate caudal fin, but
this isn't usually visible until it reaches 2" (5 cm) long. There are at least 2
different color forms in the wild, a blue/yellow one and a more rare (and nasty)
all yellow form. A domestic form with an entirely blue body and bright red orange
dorsal and caudal edging was originally classified as A. wicker. This name is no
longer scientifically valid. This is one of the BIG species. I've had males grow
to more than 4" (10 cm). Females always stay smaller, about 2 1/2" (6.5 cm). This
is one of the easy species to breed. They can have spawns of over 150 fry. This
is one of my favorite apistos.

Mike Wise

Derek