Re: German Rams

Hi George. How are things North of the border?

I have heard two schools of thought on this matter.
One group breeds in a 'group' environment. Personaly I
like to place my breeders as pairs in smaller tanks
like a 10 gallon. At times I may even have a trio in a
larger 20. I do this because it allows the fish to
focus on the act of breeding and I dont have to worry
about having to net out all the potential predetors of
my fry. Also I have seen mama apistos chasing away
intruders and leaving her fry vulnerable to the other
fish in the tank. I have come to like pencil fish as
dithers for apistos though. I think they are the
perfect dithers because they stay at the upper levels
of the tank and have very small mouths that hardly
ever pose a threat apisto fry. Most importantly they
are slow and mama apisto can easily handle them. BTW I
love rams and watching a pair tend fry is a sight to
sit back in your favorit chair and just appreciate why
we love Dwarf Cihlids so much. Good luck to you.

===
David Sanchez
Casselberry, FL
http://www.mindspring.com/~barbax