Re:oak leaves& live food

I have heard about some aquarists using oak leaves in their apisto tanks.
Where do they get the leaves?  Do they buy them or collect them from the
back yard?  I have access to an autoclave for sterilizing.  Also I assume
that these leaves are brown and dry and not freshly removed ftom the
tree...am I right?  Also can someone give me some direction on accessing
information on collecting and culturing live foods?  I have been successful
with vinegar eels and to some degree grindal worms.  What is the best media
for grindals?  I would like to subculture so I would have a back up
culture.  I was also keeping daphnia feeding Wardleys egglayer formula.
However I fed to much and the culture crashed.  Would euglena or paramecia
be a better food for daphnia with out the possibility of over feeding?
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help....