Re:oak leaves& live food

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Michael Gray wrote:

> I have heard about some aquarists using oak leaves in their apisto tanks.
> Where do they get the leaves?

It's starting to become a yearly ritual for us in the fall.  We go hunt
for a good tree or two and collect a big garbage bag of fallen
dried leaves.  I "process" them by boiling for 15-30 minutes in a big
stewing pot and then pour through a strainer in the sink like spaghetti.
The first time we did this, I was warned about them needing to be
waterlogged, so I kept them pushed to the bottom of a container for 24
hours.  But I've found this isn't necessary after they've boiled.

The fish love them!

> tree...am I right?  Also can someone give me some direction on accessing
> information on collecting and culturing live foods?

Well, there's http://faq.thekrib.com/ which has a big general article on
live foods, but it's probably too general for you.  And I also have been
collecting some info in http://www.thekrib.com/ under "Food" and sometimes
as topics under "Apisto" (though not as much as I'd like).

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com