Re: L. thayeri and dorsiger

L. dorsiger is fairly easy, at least if you've bred/had the fish
and watched them grow up. Females have usually a rounder head,
males are more pointed. The females have a more pronounced spot
in the dorsal fin. The males have this spot as well but it's
not as clear/visible. Don't look too much for elongated fins,
they don't have any. The females can have slightly pointed anal-
and dorsal fins though not as much as in the males, hard to
tell on younger fish.

Like Mike says, buy a group to get a pair or two. They do
like it best when they can select their own mates. If you're
really tight for space/money you can usually get away with
only buying one pair. It will most likely work quite nicely.

Good luck
Fredrik L.