Re: A.sp.mamore

Andrew,

Two things. #1. Our Fearless List Master prefers that we
only use basic ASCII script and no extras. It's not that he
hates inventiveness, etc. It's only that it takes up a lot
of extra KBs that may overload the system. This is just a
friendly reminder to all who use exotic fonts and colors.

#2. Your description doesn't sound like the standard A. sp.
Mamoré, like the ones that Mike Jacobs has pictured so
beautifully. At 2" (5 cm) SL (standard length) A. sp. Mamoré
males should have extended front dorsal fin lappets. A. sp.
Mamoré doesn't have a caudal spot either. Nor does it have a
red pectoral spot. It does have a metallic red spot on the
lower gill cover, however. The caudal fin pattern of fine,
pale, dots doesn't sound right for this species either. You
don't mention the lateral spot that is conspicuous on this
species, at least on juveniles and females.

I get a feeling that you have a regani-group species that
comes in under the name A. sp. Malome. I have never seen
this fish nor has anyone, to my knowledge, published a photo
of it. From descriptions in the past it might be a species
called A. sp. Blaukopf (Blue-head) in Germany, A. sp. New
Blue (in Japan), or A. sp. Steel Blue (in Römer's Atlas).

I would really like to see a photo of the fish being sold as
A. sp. Malome - even a bad one. Does anyone have any?

Mike Wise