Re: ram eggs

I have two pairs of Microgeophagus altispinosa I bought at auction
($6!).  I put them into a community tank w/ plenty of tetras while
waiting to set up a more permanent home for them.  In 4 days I had
eggs.  Unfortunately, this hatch (which was only about 50 eggs) didn't
hatch.  Less than a week later the male responsible for the first round
bred with the other female and this time they had a nice hatch of 80 or
so little guys.  I left them in the tank to "observe" the parental
process and they did a fine job for about 2 weeks until they couldn't
keep track of the straying young and they all eventually fell prey to
the tetras and a young pair of A. cacatuoides (which were constantly
waiting at the edge of the males area of control waiting for the young
to wander out).  About a week after that the other male bred with the
second female (these guys are definitely not polygamous) and I now have
a small batch of wrigglers.  I struggling to get a decent pH in a ten
gallon I'm planning to move one of the pairs to (but that's another long
and convoluted story). Maybe after I reduce the predation I'll have some
success raising the fry.

The tank: 29G, set up for about 3 months, moderately planted under 110 W
of HO fluorescent lighting, 2 GH (although the plants quickly reduce
this, 2 is out of the tap), 3.5 KH, CO2 injection (diy), pH about 6.4,
temperature 80-82 (those HO bulbs put out some heat!).  The tank is
overpopulated (and probably over filtered).  6 neons, 6 glowlights, 3
"blue" tetras, the 4 rams, 2 cacatuoides, clown pleco, 4 ottos, 2 black
neons.  I have a SeaStorm 100 fluidized bed filter and a Whisper power
filter 2 (for mechanical filtration).  NO2 and NH3 are 0.  Even with all
of those fish I suspect I have a Nitrogen deficiency for the plants.

Michael

--
FUNdaMENTALs  FUNdaMENTALs  FUNdaMENTALs  FUNdaMENTALs  FUNdaMENTALs

a science and creativity toy store              205 Hanover St.
thought inducing fun                            Fredericksburg, VA 22401
                        http://fun-da-mentals.com