conductivity meters/ohmmeters

I'd eventually like to get a conductivity meter. I got my paws on a Grainger
catalog here in the office; it doesn't have a conductivity meter per se, but
they've got lots of megohmmeters as well as multimeters.
	since conductivity is the inverse of resistance, i guess one could
use an ohmmeter of some kind (i'm not up on electrical equipment) to measure
one's water. but what kind of specs should i look for?
	the megohmmeters are prohibitively expensive, but some of the
handheld multimeters are reasonable. in the spec chart, there is a column
'Resistance (Ohms)' and each meter has some entry like '2K/20K/200K/2M' -
how does that relate to actually measuring ohms?
	(i assume i'll want to measure anywhere between, say 1 thousand and
1 million ohms...?)

it's been a while since EM theory in physics, so go easy on me.

cheers
andrew

Andrew Faust
G O R D O N  H  C H O N G & Partners
                                 A R C H I T E C T U R E
130 Sutter Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94104-4012
main:415.433.0120 direct:415.433.2220x274 fax:415.433.4368