Re: Rams (one spot vs. two spot)

RDotta7777@aol.com wrote:

> I just purchased 10 wild M. altispinosa from an lfs.  ...  Half are "one spot"
> and half are "two spot".  ... I can't get enough info on it.  Is it a separate
> species?  Does one have to watch
> when breeding to separate out one vs two spots?  Are there any real species
> differences or is it just a phenotypic form variation?

Rich,

As far as I can find out there is no real decision on whether the 1- & 2-spot
altispinosus are separate species or not. They at least appear to be geographic
variations of the same species. Your lfs must have gotten his mixed at the
wholesaler or as 2 separate shipments. They will breed with each other, but if
they were mine I'd separate the two forms just to be sure.

Species have been separated on more subtle features than the number of flank
spots. M. altispinosus is very widely distributed in the upper Rio Madeira system
(Rio Madre de Dios, Rio Beni & Rio Guaporé) of Bolivia & Brazil. It may extend
into the closely adjoining Mato Grosso as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this
species is separated into several species once we have enough collection data.

Mike Wise