Panduro questions still-

A couple weeks ago, I mentioned that the A. panduros I picked up at the
convention appeared to be all males.  After looking at the pelvic fins, i
decided that I had 3 females and one male.  The male is the smallest, of the
bunch, and I doubt that he is old enough yet to spawn.  I separated the four
fish and put the smallest female in with the single male, and the other two
females in a separate tank, using ten gallon tanks.  I left the water at 7.4
pH as it comes out of the tap, as in the past I have seen increasing
aggression against conspecifics as pH approached the pH 5.0 level that
induced spawning. I wanted to get the male up to a little bigger size before
anything got going.  Yesterday I came home to find the dithers dead in the
tank with the pair.  Upon closer examination, the female was under a pot
shard, picking off the last of the eggs, that were all turning milky due to
infertility.  The male was hiding in the back under the hydrosponge.  I
thought to move the male to safety in the other tank, but found that one
female in the other tank was spawning solo in there.  The other female was in
stress, and even after relocating, did not survive the night.  So now I have
the male in one tank, the larger female in another, and the smaller female
all alone in a 55-gallon I was working on to be a planted community tank.
    I have two inconsistencies here:
1) the pH is way too high for this fish to be interested in spawning.
2)  both of these females are very yellow, yet still neither of them has the
mid-body splotch.  The black on the cheeks, rather than a large streak
running from eye to eye under the chin, is more like the angled stripe on a
female aggasizii.
    While I can accept the pH alone as just a unique anomaly, the fact that
both of them spawned solo in less than ideal conditions, combined with the
coloration, leads me to ponder.
    The male also has failed to develop the caudal peduncle "triangle".  Is
it possible that these guys are acutally something else, an Apistogramma
sp.aff panduro, from a whitewater location?

Perhaps worthy of noting in this discussion- The heat wave tends to get my
tanks up to around 82 or 83 F for a day or two, and this was the case when
they spawned.

Bob Dixon