RE: spawning?

Hey.........everyone have a great day.  And by the way...at the next ACA
convention, lets have a "FOR REAL APISTO DISCUSSION".  I know a bunch of you
were their but I only recognized and met Bob Dixon and Julio Melgar.  Even
if we only just meet informally somewhere..........what do you think!

Mike

Mike Jacobs
Center for Advanced Technologies
Lakewood H.S.
St Pete, Fl  33705
mjacobs2@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks Mike I will have a good day now;). Where is the next ACA meeting
hopefully on the west coast. I think your very correct in your stating that
much more needs to be studied before we can really try to claim that we have
a good model of parental behavior. What goes on in the aquarium is by its
very nature not going to be a full range of breeding behavior. I think that
we need an experienced observer spending a season watching a "colony" in the
wild before we can really start getting a handle on many behaviors that just
don't appear in the aquarium. One example I'd like to see checked is how
strong is pair bonding in the wild. there are many other things that do need
to be checked. Part of this discussion specifically the "mothering gene"
thing is starting to ask the question as to how much of parental behavior is
learned and how much is instinct. This is a subject that is that has much
potential for discussion and research. How much behavioral coding (if you
will please) can be passed from one generation and how much is learned, and
if it is genetic is it passed evenly throughout the spawn or can different
individuals get more or less then their siblings.

Erick Jones

As the saying goes, there are some ideas so stupid, only an intellectual
will believe in them.    Unknown

Archives"!