Re: cannibalism (was:spawning?)

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:
I've had the best luck in ten-gallon tanks when
>pulling the male.  I've decided the probable reason for this is because his
>"perimeter guard" function can't be carried out far enough away from the
>female.

I was wondering if perhaps the male apisto's job in nature is to guard the
territory from other males as well as predators, whereas the female's job is
to protect the fry.  If this were the case, ten gallons is an awfully small
territory for a harem spawner.