Re: Floor load capacities

Francine writes:

<snip>> Geez!  How do I figure out what the capabilities of the flooring is
if one
>  room where I have the tanks in is carpeted and  the other room is covered
>  with linoleum?
>
>  Let me tell you what I have.  In the living room:  I have two 20 gal high
>  tanks on wrought iron stands sitting on individual pieces of 3/4 inch
>  plywood.  Both of these tanks have 10 gals underneath.  The tanks all have
>  gravel.  Next to these tanks are four 2.5 gal bare bottoms on a cabinet.
>  Next to that is the 30 gal with the 20 long underneath.  These tanks are
all
>  on the same outside wall.  This room measures 14 x 11 with the usual tv and
>  stereo, coffee table, sofa and chair.  The kitchen has 4 10 gal tanks, 1 5
>  gal and a 2.5 on a stand I built out of 4 x 4's for legs and 2x 4,s for the
>  shelving.  The kitchen is 14 x 17 with table and chairs with cabinets.
>
>  Does anyone have an opinion on load weight capacities

Well, carpet vs. linoleum isn't going to make much difference except the
carpet can hold moisture and cause rot.

The best way to figure it out is to hire an architect.  He/she will know how
to calculate it.  As for the two rooms, the room with all those tanks on the
outside wall is defiinitely a lot safer than the kitchen if the tanks there
are on an inside wall.  The further the weight load is from the support of
the foundation, the more strain it puts on it.  You could always go down in
the basement/crawl space and put some pillars in to hold it up.  Slab floors
like basements and garages are definitely stronger because they are against
the ground.

Bob Dixon