Re: Fry tank

It's been over a week and I haven't seen anyone answer this one. Doesn't any
raise apistos out there? (LOL) Well I guess I'll put my 2¢ in. I tend to breed my
apistos in small decorated tanks (most under 30x12" or 75x30cm). The male's
behavior determines whether or not he stays with mom and the kids. I raise the
fry in the breeding tank for at least 8 weeks. After this, I move them to larger
bare bottom tanks to grow out. The only thing in them, besides fish, are the
filter and a large floating clump of Java Moss. Territorial aggression is low and
those that get picked on seem to find a hiding place in the moss. There have been
several studies and even more anecdotal evidence that overcrowded cichlid thanks
make it hard for any fish to establish a territory - especially if there are no
visual boundaries to work with. Cichlids who can't establish territories don't
seem to be as aggressive.

Mike Wise