From: <IDMiamiBob@aol.com>
To: <apisto@admin.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: Typical M. Ramirezi & Gold Ram

: Sherry writes:
:
: >  Well, these particular fish are not an issue anymore. :( Two died in
two
: >  days, a third didn't have too much time left, so I took the sick one
and
: the
: >  last surviving one back to the store before the guarantee wore off.
: >
: >  One of them was sick when I got it home (the gold one that I hadn't
wanted
: >  to begin with). I medicated for gill parasites, which is the only
diagnosis
: >  I could find for the hard breathing and swollen gills they were
showing.
:
: Sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.  The ammonia will burn the gills, and
: then they swell, and the fish has to pump more water through the gills to
try
: to get enough O2 transfer through whatever good gill tissue may remain.
Next
: time you're there, you might see if they will let you test THEIR water for
pH
: and ammonia.  I'll bet they are both high.  I recommend you not buy fish
: there again unless you first test their water.
:
: > It
: >  didn't seem to be helping though.<snip>>
:
: If is is indeed ammonia damage, it is permament, and the most humane
: treatment is to put the fish in the freezer.
:
: >  This is a very interesting subject though about the crossbreeding
between
: >  the blues and golds. You say the first few generations aren't very
pretty
: >  though. What do you do with the fry? Are you able to sell the excess
that
: >  you don't need for breeding?
:
: I would make a cute remark here about Oscars, but the more politically
: correct among us would perhaps get their feathers in a ruffle.
:
: Bob Dixon
: Cichlid Trader List Administrator
:
:
: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
: email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Archives"!
: