Re: Apisto I.D. Help

>If it has a lateral spot it can't be a regani-group fish (like A. cruzi,
regani,
>etc.)
You are right on that.  Looking closer at the fish, the lateral band is
just broader at mid-body, giving the impression of an underlying lateral
spot.  But the shape doesnīt change with mood.

>The body shape and present fin shapes point to an ancestral form of apisto
>(regani-, steindachneri-, Rotpunkt-, & macmasteri-groups). The only species
>within these groups that have lateral spots belong to the
steindachneri-group (A.
>steindachneri, A. rupununi, A. hippolytae,  A. sp. Rio Preto & and
possibly A.
>sp. Erdfresser). All of the species in this group, however, have caudal
spots and
>some sort of pattern on the caudal fin. The patterned tail on A.
hippolytae often
>is not very distinct. Maybe it's this fish. Otherwise it sounds like a
member of
>the regani-complex without a patterned tail (A. gossei, A. geisleri
(some), A.
>sp. Amapá, etc.). It might help to learn what other fish came with them.

I donīt think itīs A. hippolytae. The body is not as high-backed and it
lacks the large blotch above the lateral band.  The color is almost
identical to A. Sp. Gabelband, except that the ventral stripes donīt touch
the lateral band.
These fish came together with A. eunotus, A. norberti and A. pucallpaensis,
so I guess they came from around the area where the Maraņon joins the
Ucayali (?)

Thanks a lot Mike.  I hope this helps.

Peter