Substrate bacteria

Hi gang,

I was reading through Linke & Staeck's book "Cichlids from West Africa"
when I happened upon an interesting topic. You guessed it,  substrate
bacteria. On page 124 the authors recommend "sub-soil heating" to insure
water movement up from the substrate and avoid a build up of bacteria
that will threaten the lives of the larvae. I am assuming they are
referring to the wrigglers. This is recommend for all substratum & cave
spawning cichlids. I have never used cable heating in the substrate
before, but I have questioned the need for and amount of water movement
necessary in the tank. Anyone got any thoughts?

Tim