Re: Teleogramma-species?

Fredrik.Ljungberg@saab.se wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Got a call from "my importer" earlier today, inquiring about
> my interest in dwarf-cichlids from Congo. A couple of species
> on the list sounded quite interesting, among those
> Teleogramma depressum. Has anyone any info on this species and/or
> T. gracile? Are they valid, has anyone seen them (picture or live),
> anything?
>
> As always, I'll order a few and try. There are pleny of
> Nanochromis-species from this area as well so deciding
> will be hard.
>
> TIA
> Fredrik L.

Hello Fredrik,

The Teleogramma species you refer to are very valid (although I'm not
personally aware of gracile being exported, as yet, and have only seen
photos of preserved material.) Depressum is an unbelievable animal, only
described from the lower Congo Rapids in 1976 by Tyson Roberts and
Donald Stewart. It looks as if someone flattened a Teleogramma brichardi
with a rolling pin when you get a good sideways look at it. A good photo
by Frank Warzel has appeared in the Aqualog news, but I don't have the
number of the issue available right now. Although I have only just now
been able to keep some specimens of depressum, they are very similar to
brichardi in care. Keep them in a large aquarium with plenty of hiding
spots, as they can be expected to express themselves very strongly to
each other!! As they come from the Lower Congo River Rapids, circulation
is important in the aquarium, pH should be around neutral.

Depressum has only recently been sent from the Congo (except, maybe,
mixed in with brichardi, in the past). It is certainly not a large
cichlid (males at about 5"?), but, it requires the type of space and
handling that one would give to a fish that can be very aggressive.

												Steve