Re: sunset apisto advice

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:38:08 -0400, Stan Jamrog wrote:
Hi Stan,
The Sunset is a great fish.  Keep the tank covered; they are great jumpers!

I have spawned a pair in a 10gal tank with a halved coconut shell and a few
plants.  The ph was 5.0 and the hardness was less than 4 degrees.  I used a
hydro sponge for filtration.  The lighting was high to encourage algae
growth for the fry to pick on.
The sunset pair were fed live and frozen brine shrimp.  Occasionally I used
white worms and flake food.

Eventually, the female secured the entrance to the shell with mouthfuls of
gravel and only came out to feed.  However, when the fry became free
swimming, the female battered the male relentlessly.  Therefore, I put him
in a 2.5 gal tank until I'm ready to have them spawn again.  I did leave
three gold tetras in the 10 to allow the female to act out her protective
role.  Personally, I prefer to keep pairs of Apistos in 20 gal tanks to
alleviate the need to purchase smaller tanks to house ousted mates.

Good luck
Francine in MD

> Hi,
> Just picked up some apistos this evening.  I got two amazing pair of
> wild A. atahualpa (sunset apisto-apologize if I spelled it wrong), and a
> trio of A. panduro.
>
> I would love to breed both these fish.  I have heard that the panduro
> are not very hard to breed, if your water is good, but have not heard
> much about the sunset apisto.  Has anyone here bred and raised the fry
> successfully?  I would love any advice I could get on these wonderful
> fish.  My water is very soft, and has a ph of 6.8.  Thank you in
> advance.  Stan
>
> --
> ICQ# 14976865

Archives"!