Wardley Complete Remedy?

 "S. Bunch" wrote: <<<<: Wardley Complete Remedy? (

One of the six started showing signs of heavy breathing with swollen gills
soon after acclimation to my tank, while the others seemed fine. I couldn't
tell whether it had been already acting that way in the bag or not. I picked
them up from the LFS while they were still in their shipping bag. The sick
one lasted until this morning, almost exactly a week since I'd gotten them.
Now a few more are beginning to breathe heavily also.>>>>>

This is a typical sign of gill glukes, or gill protozoans such as Ick or
Oodinium. Others may be involved, but these are the most common ones.
You correctly tested the water, which seems fine.

<<<<<I asked my LFS about the possibility of gill flukes a few days before
the
first one died, and he said he hadn't seen or heard of gill flukes in fish
in this area for years.>>>>>>>

This makes no sense and would make me wonder about the professionality
of the person who said that. Either it's a lie, or the seller thinks to be
a bubble boy in a sterile environment. Reality is that it is hard to
find a fish WITHOUT flukes or other parasites. Most cause no symptoms,
but are right there to cause problems when stress occurs (like moving to
a new tank). Many flukes are species-specific, so if you have a community
tank not all species will be affected. Gill protozoans often have the bad
habit of killing everyone quite quickly.

<<<<<<< All I have on hand for tonight is "Wardley Complete
Remedy". It claims to be good for external parasites, fungi, and bacteria.
The only listed ingredient is sodium chlorite. I says on the bottle that
this is not a salt solution, but an oxidant. Would this work for gill
flukes? Has anyone had any experience with it?>>>>>>

Beware of wonder drugs that claim to work for everything. See at:
http://world.std.com/~enjolras/symtreat.htm some opinions
about miracle drugs, and treatment for flukes and protozoans.
I would advice to start with a dose of Fluke-Tabs, to be repeated
in a week if it works. If it doesn't (more die after 3-4 days from
treatment), administer a heat treatment for protozoans.
Good luck

Dionigi (about to be away for 10 days)