Re: RE: Fishwall

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:06:12 +0100, Scot Gillespie wrote:

If the type of timber is to be considered then I will say that I intend to
use treated 2 by's and 4 by's.  The shelving material will probably be CDX
or MDO board.  I plan to use two coats of enamel-based paint on everything.
I have some oak laying around, but I swear I don't have the patient and time
to cut and drill that stuff.  Maybe I'll use that for trimming the stand out
or for the access flaps.

Thanks for your advice,
Francine

> The type of timber used will determine which size to use. Not all
softwood
> is the same, and as I am not familiar with the US timber naming
conventions
> one of the other listees would be better to advise. But in general beware
of
> cheaper softwoods as these tend not to be seasoned too well before they
are
> sawn, and can warp quite dramatically (especially in humid atmospheres).
>
> My own preference for supports is to use sections on 3/4" or 1" thick
marine
> (or external ply), and if you are prepared to go a begging off-cuts can
> occasionally be picked up at joinery shops, they might even cut them to
size
> for you on a circular bed saw. This stuff tends to be a stronger, less
> flexible, and more durable than most hardwoods.

Archives"!

Francine in MD
Fish - photography - genealogy