RE: Fishwall

The type of timber used will determine which size to use. Not all softwood
is the same, and as I am not familiar with the US timber naming conventions
one of the other listees would be better to advise. But in general beware of
cheaper softwoods as these tend not to be seasoned too well before they are
sawn, and can warp quite dramatically (especially in humid atmospheres).

My own preference for supports is to use sections on 3/4" or 1" thick marine
(or external ply), and if you are prepared to go a begging off-cuts can
occasionally be picked up at joinery shops, they might even cut them to size
for you on a circular bed saw. This stuff tends to be a stronger, less
flexible, and more durable than most hardwoods.