Re: Fishwall

Francine:

I don´t have a clue how much wood costs in the U.S. compared to metallic
structures.  I had my tank racks built from 1" square steel pipe, welded
and painted matte black with anticorrosive.  Costs were about 10% higher
than 2´x4´ pine or cypress, but I never have to worry about warping,
termites or cracks.
The tanks sit on 1/2" plywood + 1/2" styrofoam.  Underneath the plywood
base are 1´x 2´ metallic sheets holding the ballasts for the fluorescent
tubes.  Not only does it make the lamps lighter and easier to install, it
also gives the tanks warm feet.
I wouldn´t advice putting shelves below, especially if you are using wood.
Any water splashing, running or dripping down will sooner or later ruin the
drawers and/or whatever is inside.  My bottom row of tanks is 10" off the
ground level, leaving enough space to clean or retrieve "jumpers."
I anchored the tank racks to the wall, after painting the walls with  a
urethane-based paint, after losing over 30 tanks during the 1976
earthquake.  I don´t think that should be a concern in MD, but I would
certainly do it if I lived in California.
Hope this helps.  Good luck with your fishroom.

Peter