Re: Back on the list (dwarf pike)

Thomas,

Most (if not all) of the pike cichlids (Crenicichla) from Rio Orinoco are undescribed.  Lately, a medium-sized pike has been coming into North American as C. sp. "Venezuela dwarf" or "Orinoco dwarf".  This fish is a saxatilis group member and gets to 6-8 inches long - certainly not a dwarf.

C. wallaci is a dwarf and it is a possibility but its distribution is a little further east of Orinoco (in the Guyanas) but then again, our knowledge if Orinocoan pikes is very limited and this species may also be found in Venezuela.

There is a dwarf pike very similar to C. notophthalmus in extreme upper Orinoco near the Brazilian border - very little is known about this species.

There are 2 or 3 small pikes (3-4 inches max.) that live in the Rio Inirida system.  They belong to the saxatilis group. These fish have suborbital marking that true dwarf pikes don't.

Dicrossus filamentosus can be collected in middle Rio Negro near Barcelos and further up the river, where the true C. notophthalmus live.  If your fish was exported from Manaus, this may be your fish but if it was collected in Venezuela, I suggest you hold on to the fish and simply enjoy it. If you take a picture of it when it is an adult and post it on the net, I may be able to help you more then.

Good luck,

Vinny
kutty@earthlink.net
For more on dwarf pikes: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/

Hi all,

my name is Thomas Soelter. I was a list member in the past and now i'm back on the list.

Yesterday i 've seen an interesting fish at a LFS. It was named

    Crenicichla spec. 'Orinoco II'

which was imported as a contaminant amoungst Dicrossus filamentosus.
I've never heard about that species and couldn't find any info in my books. The shop assistant was sure it is a dwarf cichlid as C. wallacii or C. notophthalmus are. Does anyone know something about that species: food, max. size etc.

Thomas