Re: A. sp (red-wedged) fry tank question

Dan writes:

> I have a five gallon tank that is currently not stocked. Would this be
>  large enough to serve as a grow-out tank for awhile.

By the time the fry are big enough to net safely, they will probably be on
the edge of too big for a five already.  maybe you could move the dithers
now, and the dad too, if he finds himself being harassed.

> I have read that
>  some folks keep such a grow-out tank bare for cleanliness.

It does simplify tank maintenance.

> This tank has
>  a small Aquaclear filter on it, gravel, and no live plants. It had some
>  platies in it earlier. I may add a couple of young platies from another
>  tank back to it to keep its biological filtration viable. If I were to
>  use it, at what age would I add the fry to it?

See above.
> I have followed earlier
>  threads about adding water from the breeding tank equivalent to fifty
>  percent of the new tank to make the water parameters similar.

It is more improtant with eggs thanw ith fry, but if you have a good match of
water conditions, it always helps reduce the shock to sensitive fish.

> Also at
>  what stage would you imagine I should remove the dithers from the ten
>  gallon tank so that the bioload is not overwhelmed.

Yesterday, more so because a ten gallon tank is very small, and the
aggressions of the parents are extremely hieghtened.

> The fry are quite
>  tiny at this stage. Sorry this is such a rambling series of questions.
>
>  BTW, shekels are less the issue with getting yet another tank than lack
>  of space and the fact that another tank would be viewed as pure tsuris
>  by my otherwise totally supportive and loving wife (and I must say that
>  I am sensitive to her point of view).

Been there, done that.  Expansion under spousal pressure is like the little
plants that push rocks around as they grow.  Slight, gentle, continuous
pressure.  :-)  either get her involved, or slowly bring her to an
understanding of what a constructive hobby it is, keeping you home with her
and all.  Certainly better than bar-hopping.