Re: A. sp (red-wedged) fry tank question

>From: IDMiamiBob@aol.com
>To: apisto@admin.listbox.com
>Subject: Re: A. sp (red-wedged) fry tank question
>Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:29:16 EDT
>
>Dan writes:
>
> > I have a five gallon tank that is currently not stocked. Would this be
> >  large enough to serve as a grow-out tank for awhile.
>
>By the time the fry are big enough to net safely, they will probably be on
>the edge of too big for a five already.  maybe you could move the dithers
>now, and the dad too, if he finds himself being harassed.

I agree, generally.  I would add that the five can work for a short time,
provided you change water frequently and don't have a large number of fry.
Sufficient grow-out capacity is a problem that most apistoholics run into
sooner or later.  It takes quite a lot of tank capacity to grow young fish
out adequately, and, of course, the more they breed, the more you need!

It is stressful to net really small fish.  I have lost very young apistos
before from netting them out at too young an age.

Better methods are siphoning them out (carefully!) or better yet, gently
'herd' them into a clear jar, and simply lift the jar out of the water.

Good Luck!

Scott