Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

----- Original Message -----
From: David Sanchez <barbax2@yahoo.com>
To: <apisto@majordomo.pobox.com>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

: Sorry about your group of Rams Sherry. It seems you
: are determined to succed and there is no doubt you
: will. I am assuming you are talking about wild Rams
: and so I will offer my advice accordingly.
:
: The first thing I would do is quarantine!

Yes, I agree with this whole heartedly. The only reason I put them in with
the Danios is because I had been using the Danios to keep the tank cycled
while waiting on the Rams, and also to hopefully diffuse any fighting
between the Rams as they would be overcrowded while in the quarantine tank.
Also, as the Danios were healthy and had only cost me 50cents ea., they were
slightly more expendable than the Rams.

:
:  The lesson here is that we should quarantine all
: fish, especialy wild fish! Even though they may appear
: healthy there is much we cannot see.My reccomendation
: is to first of all start with a source for your fish
: that is reputable and hopefully quarantines their
: fish. If in doubt quarantine in a nice clean
: environment. In time you will develope your own
: methods that work best for you. Wild Rams are the best
: in my opinion and I much prefer them to the Asian or
: German Rams. Best of Luck to you Sherry.
:
I wasn't sure that the LFS I had gotten them from would quarantine the fish,
that's why I picked them up directly from the delivery truck. I really don't
know where these came from, only that the supplier was located in Kentucky.
Also, if there is a difference in coloration or patterns between the fish
from the different areas, I wouldn't know where to look to find it. :(  I've
barely learned the difference between the Blue Rams and Gold Rams.

That is another question I've been wondering about. I've seem Rams labeled
as Gold that were pretty much all gold and white with no black markings and
others that had the black markings. Are the ones that do not have the black
markings just the further extreme of breeding for the Gold coloration?

Anyway, thanks for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Sherry

: David Sanchez
: Orlando, FL
: http://www.mindspring.com/~barbax
: Apistogramma@mindspring.com
: Do You Yahoo!?
: Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com
:
:
: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
: email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Archives"!
: