Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

I've read the other posts so far, and I would make the following comments.
As always, YMMV

Sherry writes:

<snip>> Plans for new fish:
>      Use different tank to keep from infection from last batch.

If it was ich, it won't matter.  Ich is everywhere, and is opportunistic in
it's appearance.  If it was something else, then this is probably wise.

>      Dose with ich med. immediately after acclimation.
>      Feed antibiotic food as before.

Abuse of anti-biotics leads to anti-biotics that don't work.  I would avoid
using the ich medication without a reason.  Since rams like warm water
(85º-87ºF) and ich fades away in this range, that is a better approach than
just dumping it in there just in case.  IMHO medicated foods aimed at
parasites are more appropriate than those for bacteria when quarantining new
fish.

>      Water changes as before.

That water change schedule was pretty aggressive, and may have contributed to
the stress the fish were experiencing, and which tend to give opportunistic
infections the opportunity they need.

>      Keep PH approx. 6.0

That sounds okay.

I would advise you try to otain juvenuile specimens from a local breeder/club
auction.  They will be less stressed from shipping and will certainly not be
the low-quality stuff that often comes from Asia.

Bob Dixon