Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

Sherry writes:

<snip>> Okay, I'll hold off on the antibiotic food, but I can't find any
medicated
>  food aimed towards parasites. I usually order from Pet Warehouse, and they
>  don't seem to carry it. Any suggestions on where to find it? Or would the
>  use of a medication such as Clout be okay instead of the medicated food?
<<snip>

Tetra makes a parasite medicated food, but it is next to impossible to find
in the U.S.  Clout or some other anti-parasitic would probably be just as
effective, and easier to get.  But unless the fish are wild, or exposed to
infected fish in shipping, even parasites are unlikely.  If parasite-infected
fish spawn, and the eggs are pulled, then the fry usually end up with no
exposure.

<snip>>  I have no idea where to find a breeder, and this town is too small to
>  support any club that I have found (only 40,000 people in the whole
County!)
>  The next largest town in the next county is a college town, where half the
>  population goes home for the summer. Not much chance of finding a regular
>  club in the area. <<snip>

Except for the lack of fellow aquarists, it sounds like a nice place.  There
are a number of folks on this list who breed rams.  If one or more of them
has emailed you off-list and offered to mail you some fish for a reasonable
price plus shipping, go for it.  The cost in the end will be less than buying
fish over and over again.  There are also a couple of what I refer to as
"commercial hobbyists", who have gotten so involved that they regularly
import fish from Europe and South America, then sell all or most of them to
the general public through advertiements and/or web sites, thus generating
enough money from their enterprise to pay for the expenses of fishaholism.
These folks are dedicated to quality livestock, and rather than name some and
offend others I omit,  I'll trust them to contact you off-list as well.

You could aslo subscribe to the cichlid trader email group, by going to
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com and filling out the form.  Once on the list,
announce your need for fish, and see if an offer comes in.

<snip>> Also, the LFS said he would have to get them from his
>  supplier in Chicago, quite a distance from here. I know he gets his
>  angelfish from a local breeder, but obviously he doesn't know of any local
>  Ram breeders. One of his workers say that he has never heard of anyone
>  locally having any luck at being able to even breed them!

Sounds like this LFS may be your first customer.

> Thanks,
>  Sherry

Your very welcome,
Bob Dixon