From: Frauley/Elson <fraulels@minet.ca>
To: <apisto@admin.listbox.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 1999 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

: S. Bunch wrote:
: Between me and all of the
: > replies I got on the mail-list, we've diagnosed Ich and Hexamitas, but
I'm
: > still not sure about the cause of the deaths of a couple of them that
showed
: > no signs of either except for heavy breathing before they died.
:
: Hi,
: I've been watching this thread without great interest, but with a lot of
: sympathy. Why?  Because sick rams are a regular feature of the list.
: My read may be off topic, but I view rams as very expensive cichlids.
: You have to buy them many times to get healthy specimens. If purchased
: healthy, and maintained with care, rams survive and breed. If ill from
: shipping and probably from growing up in an antibiotic soup in
: Singapore, they are doomed. Most rams die in their first month in your
: tanks.
: I don't think this thread really diagnosed anything but secondary
: symptoms, except that like most everyone else in North America, you got
: lousy rams. Wilds are still rare, and breeders are few.
: One local shop stopped carrying rams for a while, because they were
: losing most of what they imported while they quarantined it. They
: switched to selling Apistogramma borelli for a few months, and it worked
: out well until demands for rams took them back to their imports from
: Singapore.
: I'd look for altispinosa or A. borelli, until you find a ram breeder,
: maybe even on this list. If they ever start shipping rams like they do
: discus, we'll get survivors, but they are, sadly, an expendable cheap
: fish that is expended in a big way in the trade.
: Gary (ram-free for six months - one day at a time...)
:
:
:
: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
: email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Archives"!
: