Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

I am posting the following as an attempt to have a
discussion on how to make the best use of a public forum like
this list. It is not my intent to criticize anyone individually.

I found the thread on the deaths of the Rams interesting and
frustrating at the same time. On one side, it was nice to see
interest in sharing information on fish health issues, on the other
side it was very confusing and misleading to see a mix of
anecdotal statements, fantasy diagnoses and second-hand
snake oil claims.  As an example, Hexamita was proposed
as a possible diagnosis (it causes progressive weight loss, no
white spots or fast breathing as in the case reported), and
products with sub-optimal activity on Ich and flukes recommended
over and over. Good things were brought up too, like the importance
of quarantine.  I am just wondering what all this well meant confusion
means to somebody who is seeking information on this list.
Since posting of information should be encouraged, I am not
advocating with this message that "inexperienced" people do
not voice their opinion, for the simple reason that the term I placed
in quotation marks is arbitrary and misleading (everyone has always
something to learn). However, it is also true that it is irresponsible
to give recommendations without having first done some homework
to verify what the information available on a certain issue is.
Fish health is a topic on which there are references available,
in particular in the form of good books with reasonable price and
easy-to-read content. I think it would be advisable to first verify
on a book what is a recommended treatment, before of posting
product names and claims which are not always justified.
Similarly, there is some responsibility also on the side of
whoever experiences a certain problem, in terms of acquiring
the basic references needed to understand a problem, rather
then just asking around how to deal with it, and then be faced
with conflicting and confusing opinions.

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.