Re: Grey milky spot on eyes

I have seen milky spots on the eyes usually as a result of one of three
things - in order of frequency:
1) physical damage (either from running into other fish or objects in
tank);
2) suboptimal water conditions;
3) dietary deficiencies.

It's not always easy to pinpoint the cause - for example, I once
encountered the problem in my prized tank of West Africans because my pH
had become very acidic over the course of a week (I recall the pH was below
5.0) - I never would have guessed (of course, if I had been a good
fishkeeper, I would have known... but sometimes life gets a little
hectic....).  What did get my attention was the fact that the neon tetras I
had introduced into the tank as dither fish were throwing off slime in big
sheets!

The good news is that the spots are, for the most part, temporary and clear
up within a week or two once the problem is addressed.  I have also found
that the fish don't seem to be particularly debilitated by the eye spots
(that is, unless they croak...).

-mk