Re: A. sp. aff. juruensis

Edison,

This is speculation on my part (with a healthy bit of input from Ingo Koslowski -
an infamous splitter).

Both A. agassizii & the A. resticulosa => A. taeniata species-complex appear in
many forms that may be only populations but, because of their wide distribution,
may include many sibling species. He writes that he can recognize 6 different A.
resticulosa forms, 8 A. taeniata forms & 9 A. agassizii forms. Most of us have
problems separating A. taeniata from A. resticulosa, so think of the mess that
would happen if they each had a scientific name! This is why I strongly recommend
not breeding specimens from different locations together if at all possible. This
is why I personally steer away from domestically bred fish with no known
location. We just don't know if we are hybridizing closely related species or
not.

Mike Wise