RE: Dumb Luck

>How do you diffuse the CO2? Via the filter?  I am
>always looking to improve here.

I've got a DIY system going in a 125 for my plants, and went through a
variety of different diffusion methods.  Some didn't work well at all, and
a "real" reactor worked way too well - very dangerous without a controller
of some sort.  I found a tank of discus lying flat on the gravel one
morning.  Fortunately, they all came around once I turned the CO2
off.  What I settled on turned out to be very simple - a power head and the
big part of a small gravel vac/siphon.  The power head is set up pointing
straight down into the vac.  I'm using a MaxiJet 750, but a smaller power
head would probably be better.  The output for that is the same size as the
vac, with an inch or so of clear tubing between them (the siphon tube,
oddly enough, is just the right diameter to slip over the vac, so it also
fits over the output of the powerhead).  At least, I remember it being this
simple.... I've got a 20-pound CO2 bottle which only needs to be refilled
about once every 16 months or so, a regulator, and a small needle valve.  I
run a silicone airline tube to a rigid plastic airline tube which I melted
to form a "U" about an inch from the end.  I use nylon tie-wraps to hold
the rigid tube onto the tube of the gravel vac, with the "U" putting the
output of the CO2 system into the large tube of the gravel vac.  Control is
touchy - even at very low pressures, the needle valve has to be almost
completely closed.  But once everything is set just right, I get a bubble
or two per second, which seems to be about right.  Oh, I use a Tetra PHAS
sponge filter on the input of the power head to keep from doing the
bass-o-matic thing with my fish.

Hopefully that's clear - it really is simple, and it seems to work
well.  And, the failure mode should be less CO2 rather than more, though it
can pump quite a bit of CO2 into the water.

Paul and Meredith Brown

MR2:  "Not the easiest car in the world to work on"