Re: Apisto sp. "rotkeil" aggression

Dan Gottsegen wrote:

>  My question is: would leaving a
> couple of dithers in with them have saved his life, or would the dithers
> simply have met his fate before him?

I would have either left a few dithers in or removed the male with the dithers. I
think the male was "trashed" because he was too curious and stayed around the
spawning cave too much. If the male had dithers to chase, he would be chasing
them and not snooping around the breeding cave and the female would be more
inclined to tolerate him.

> Sorry if this is such a neophyte
> question. BTW, it seems as if I can see some sexual dimorphism in the
> fry already. The largest are perhaps 6 or 7 mm. Is this possible?

This is not really sexual dimorphism. Size differences is quite common in all
species after the first few days. Some fry are just naturally stronger and out
compete the others for more food. The majority, at least in cichlid fry, usually
turn out to be males but not all.

> Some
> of the fry are still about 3 or 4 mm. Would it be advisable to keep a
> male of the group to breed to the mother (other than Oedipal concerns)
> or would it weaken the stock, as it were?

I see no real problem as long as the male is genetically strong and healthy.

> On another topic, a quick question about A.agassizzi. What is the
> minimum tank size for a breeding pair?

Fontaine Weyman used to breed aggies in 5 gallon tanks. The minimum for a less
experienced breed would be a 10 for a young pair.

> Could they be kept in a 10
> gallon? I have read that the males are quite territorial and require a
> large area, and will breed with several females if given the
> opportunity. If bred successfully in a 10 gallon, would one then remove
> the male to protect him (as I should have done with the red-wedged
> male)?

If the male starts getting beat on then move him.

Mike Wise